Elegant silver mounted and cut lead-crystal claret jug by John Sherwood & Sons, Birmingham 1900. Attractively designed silver mount typical of the Aesthetic Movement. Hinged lid with shaped thumb-piece. Simple stylised foliate and floral design encircling its tapering body. Flared, star-cut base. Hallmarks on its collar and lid for John Sherwood & Sons, Birmingham 1900. The claret jug measures 24.5 cm to the top of its thumb-piece.
The firm of John Sherwood & Sons registered their first silver-mark (J S & S within a shield) at the Birmingham Assay Office in 1858. By 1869 John Sherwood & Sons of Birmingham (represented in London by their agents Hall & Russel at 185 Upper Thames Street) were advertising as “manufacturers of silver and electroplated goods of every description”. At this point William and George Sherwood were registered as directors however by 1879 the partnership had dissolved with William taking over the running of the business – still trading as John Sherwood & Sons. Under William’s leadership the company expanded into their new premises at Regent Works, Regent Street, Birmingham as well as showrooms at 31 Ely Place, Holborn. Wilfred Sherwood took over from William as director in 1899 – joined by George Sherwood in 1901. Both Wilfred and George left the business in 1909 and whilst items with the J S & S silver-mark are recorded until c1913, no records of John Sherwood & Sons continuing in silver manufacturing are found after WW1.
Silver Mounted Lead Crystal Claret Jug by J Sherwood & Sons Birmingham 1900
The claret jug is in excellent condition commensurate with age and use. Minor signs of age and use to the silver collar. Please see images as these form an important part of the description.