An elegant silver photo frame by Walker & Hall, Birmingham 1915. The frame is rectangular in form with rounded corners over an oak board and easel support. Located by two corner tabs and swivel clips. Clear Birmingham hallmarks for 1915 and makers marks W&H (for Walker & Hall). External frame dimensions are 16.5 cm x 12 cm. Aperture size is 14 cm x 9.5 cm.
The company Walker & Hall was initially founded primarily as a manufacturer of electroplated wares. Following the invention of the electroplating process, Henry Hall (Worcester solicitor and businessman) financed George Walker (a Sheffield cutler) thus founding Walker & Hall in 1845. Differing accounts exist as to George Walker’s contribution to the development of silver electroplating in 1843 – however trading (as Walker & Co with his business partner Samuel Coulson) as an electroplate manufactory between 1843 and 1845. Walker and Hall were listed at the Electro-works, Howard Street, Sheffield as silversmiths and cutlers. Two of Henry Hall’s nephews joined the business in the 1850’s and when (Sir) John Bingham joined in 1852, they had fewer than 20 workers. John’s younger brother Charles became a partner in 1872 and helped grow the manufacturing side of the business. By 1894 the company reported 1500 employees in total. The company under Sir John Bingham was adept at publicity; they appear to be the originators of the story that George Walker was a co-inventor of the electroplating process with a Dr John Wright. Walker & Hall were subsumed into the Clore Group and ultimately into British Silverware Ltd in 1963, and finally shut down as a manufacturer in 1971.The name was later revived as a retail firm.
Antique Silver Photo Frame by Walker & Hall Birmingham 1915
The frame is in very good overall condition commensurate with its age. The silver frame shows very minor signs of age - retaining a lovely antique patina. Wooden backing-board is complete and easel support is solid. Please see images as these form an important part of the description.