A large and very striking Art Deco opalescent glass charger by Etling c1930s. Bold geometric design in high relief to the underside of the charger. Frosted glass to underside with opalescence to the design giving a subtle rainbow of colours. Polished glass to bowl. Moulded mark: Etling France. The charger is 35 cm in diameter and 6.5 cm in height.
The firm of Etling, founded by Edmond Laurent Etling, was based in Paris at 29, Rue de Paradis - retailing high quality exclusive decorative items during the 1920's and 1930's. Etling was one of the most active editors of sculpture, glass and ceramics in the inter-war years. Although better known today for their glass, Etling commissioned items in a range of materials - which were sold from the shop in Rue de Paradis. Etling closed in 1940 during WW2. Edmond Etling and his family were transported to a concentration camp where they died. The company's entire output was in the Art Deco style of the interwar period. They are noted for innovative designs and are highly desirable collector's items. For more information on Etling visit our Maker's History pages.