Unusually coloured Royal Lancastrian vase by Gladys Rodgers c1935. Shouldered ovoid body with collar neck. Black streaks over a yellow ground to upper body with burnt vermilion towards the base. Streaks appear to be both applied and from firing technique used – resulting in an attractive satin sheen towards its base, going to a glossier finish to the upper body. Impressed Royal Lancastrian mark to base (used 1930 to c1938) and shaped number 3184. Incised E.T.R. for potter Edwin Thomas Radford and painted monogram for Gladys Rodgers. The vase is 16 cm in height.
As manufacturers of decorative tiles, Pilkington's made the first steps in establishing what was to become their pottery department in 1898. Initially they developed crystalline and opalescent glazes which were discontinued after a few years. Subsequent years saw their range of glazes extended under the influence of successive ceramic chemists. During the early 1930's the pottery department experienced a number of setbacks which together with poor financial returns resulted in its closure in 1937.
Gladys Rodgers is the best known of Pilkington’s women artists. She attended the Levenshulme School of Art and joined Pilkington’s pottery department in c1907. Until 1928 Rodgers painted primarily Lustre Ware pottery however after 1929, she moved almost entirely to decorating Lapis Ware pottery until the closure of Pilkington’s Pottery section in 1938. E.T. Radford worked at Wedgwood, Linthorpe Pottery, Burmantofts and Doulton before being engaged by Pilkington's where he worked until his retirement in 1936. He was recognised as one of the finest throwers of his time.