A very lovely Grainger & Co (Worcester) twin-handled vase of ovoid form c1895. Reticulated upper body and handles on a cream ground with over-glaze gilt decoration. Pale jade-green lower body with gilded central band. Stamped and impressed mark for Grainger & Co. (W). The vase measures 14.5 cm in height.
Thomas Grainger (1783–1839), an apprentice at the Worcester factory, co-founded a rival porcelain company in Lowesmore, Worcester in 1801. By 1806 they had opened a shop in Forgate Street, Worcester. In 1839, following the death of Thomas Grainger, his son George took control of the company and encouraged the production of elaborate ornamental wares. George Grainger & Co further diversified their products, producing embossed tiles for fireplace