An Art Nouveau silver photograph frame by James Deakin & Sons, Chester 1917. Elegantly shaped rectangular frame with molded detail to outside edge and arched top. Clear class photograph cover with solid wooden backboard and easel support. Backboard securely located by two corner tabs and two swivel tabs. Hallmarked for the Chester Assay Office 1917 and for silversmith James Deakin & Sons. The frame measures 25 cm by 19 cm. Aperture measures 20 cm by 15 cm.
Established in Sheffield by James Deakin in 1866, the firm’s first registered mark (JD over WD) was with the Sheffield Assay Office in 1878. Likely that this was for the partnership of James Deakin and his son William Pitchford Deakin. In 1886, with two further sons entering in the business (John and Albert), they began trading as James Deakin & Sons. Further marks were registered at the London, Chester and Birmingham Assay Offices. Initially based at their Sidney Works, Matilda Street in Sheffield, by 1888 they had opened subsidiary offices and showrooms at 48 Holborn Viaduct, London). The firm clearly enjoyed some success – opening further offices and showrooms at Gardiner House, 14 Charterhouse Street, London, 34 St. Enoch Square, Glasgow and 7 Queen Street, Belfast. They produced silver and silver-plated items as well as pewterware. After James Deakin’s retirement in 1893 the business was continued by his sons William, John and Albert. In 1897 the firm was converted into a limited liability company trading as James Deakin & Sons Ltd however, by the late 1930’s the firm had been acquired by Shaw and Fisher (Electro-plate Manufacturers) and Walter Latham & Son (Sterling Silver & Electro-plate manufacturers).
Large Silver Art Nouveau Photograph Frame by Deakin & Sons Chester 1917
The frame is in very good condition commensurate with age. Very minor sign of age and use. Backboard and hinged support leg are solid. Please see images as they forms an important part of the description.