Elegant, quality pair of George V silver candlesticks by Edward Barnard & Sons, London 1918. Tulip shaped capital with flared sconce above a Georgian style, baluster form shaft and circular base. Wooden inserts to base. The candlesticks are 23.5 cm in height. Both clearly hallmarked for  London 1918 and Edward Barnard & Sons.

 

The company's origins date back to about 1680, when the silversmith Anthony Nelme established a firm in Ave Maria Lane, London. Edward Barnard (d. 1855) was first manager and in 1829 became the proprietor, trading as Edward Barnard & Sons, with his sons Edward Barnard (d. 1868), John Barnard and William Barnard (d. 1851). In 1838, they moved to Angel Street, then in 1898 to Fetter Lane, and in 1920, to Hatton Garden, London. In 1977, they became a subsidiary of Padgett & Braham, and closed in 2003. Edward Barnard & Sons created the Lily font (a large silver gilt baptismal font used in the christening services of members of the British