A quality silver inkstand with twin inkwells by Elkington & Co. Birmingham 1898. Heavy gauge silver rectangular tray with gadroon detail to border. Pen well to front and back, with twin inkbottle wells to inner section bordered with gadrooned bands. Inkbottle wells bordered with cast moulded edges. All raised on four cast foliate and scroll feet. Clear cut glass twin inkbottles with silver collars and lids, edged in matching gadroon detail. Fully hallmarked for Elkington & Co, Birmingham 1898. The stand measures 23.25 cm in width and 17 cm in depth. Height is 3.5 cm (stand only) and 8.5 cm with inkbottles. Stand (without inkbottles) weighs approximately 610 grams (19.6 troy oz). Inkbottles are 4.25 cm x 4.25 cm and 5.75 cm in height.
George Richards Elkington (1801-1865) was born in Birmingham, second son of James Elkington, a gilt-toy and spectacle maker. In 1815 he went into apprenticeship with his uncles Josiah and George Richards, who then took him into partnership. On the death of his uncles, George inherited the business and by 1827 he was in partnership with his cousin, Henry Elkington. Whilst continuing to produce silverware, they devised a method of electro-plating and experimented with improving gilding techniques - patenting a new way to electroplate one metal onto the surface of another in 1838. This new method of electroplating resulted in significant growth and with financial backers entering the business – Elkington & Co was established in 1840. Between 1842 and 1861, with further financial backing from Josiah Mason, the company traded as Elkington