Striking orange lustre glazed art vase from the Ruskin Pottery 1922. The vase is of a shouldered baluster form with tapered cylindrical neck. Decorated in an all over orange lustre glaze giving a range of lustre colours in different light. Lighter areas and marks are within its glaze from original firing. Impressed marks for Ruskin and dated 1922. The vase measures 20.5 cm in height and 11 cm maximum diameter.
Edward R. Taylor (the first Principal of both the Lincoln School of Art and the Birmingham School of Art) founded Ruskin Pottery in 1898 – placing his son, William Howson Taylor (formally a student at the Birmingham School of Art) as manager. They named the pottery after the artist, writer and social thinker John Ruskin; whose principles about beauty and quality they believed in. The pottery experimented with glazes, producing innovative designs across a range of items, from vases and bowls to jewellery and buttons. Ruskin Pottery was exhibited both in the UK and abroad at international fine art exhibitions – achieving "grand prize" in 1904 at the St Louis International Exhibition, giving them the recognition they needed. Further awards were gained at other international exhibitions, including M