An impressive pair of Victorian silver cluster column candlesticks by Martin, Hall & Co London 1886. Each candlestick has a detachable square sconce with egg and dart cast border sitting within an acanthus-leaf cast capital. Capital raised on a stem of bound clustered columns issuing from a stepped square base further decorated with egg and dart borders. Loaded bases. Fully hallmarked for the London assay office 1886 and silversmiths Martin, Hall & Co Ltd. The candlesticks measure approximately 28 cm in height.
In 1854, Richard Martin (previously of Martin Brothers & Naylor) entered into partnership with John Roberts and Ebenezer Hall (previously of Roberts & Hall) to form Martin, Hall & Co – incorporated as Martin, Hall & Co Ltd in 1866. Manufacture was initially based at their Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street Park, Sheffield. The company produced sterling silver and silver (electro)plated items but also had a successful low-cost line of production using a patented white metal called "Martinoid". During the firm's heyday they had established a reputation for quality and beauty of design and finish of their goods. They had showrooms in London and Glasgow and in addition to their works in Sheffield, also opened factories in London and Birmingham – employing nearly 500 workers in total. The firm exhibited at the 1851 Great Exhibition (where they were awarded a Certificate of Merit), the International Exhibition of 1862, the 1879 Sydney Exhibition (winning the highest award of Merit), the Melbourne Exhibition (1881) and the 1915 British Industries Fair. Items made by Martin, Hall & Co were retailed by a number of prestigious jewellers of the time including Goldsmiths Alliance Ltd (Cornhill, London), Mappin Brothers (London) and West & Son (Dublin) amongst many others. After WWI the firm went in liquidation during the great depression in 1933.
Victorian Silver Cluster Column Candlesticks Martin & Hall London 1886
These candlesticks are in overall excellent condition commensurate with age and use. Extremely minor signs of use to stepped bases only. Please see images as these form an important part of the description.