The firm of Etling, founded by Edmond Laurent Etling, was based in Paris at 29, Rue de Paradis - retailing high quality exclusive decorative items during the 1920's and 1930's. Etling was one of the most active editors of sculpture, glass and ceramics in the inter-war years. Although better known today for their glass, Etling commissioned items in a range of materials - which were sold from the shop in Rue de Paradis.
Under the artistic director, Mr Dreyfuss, the firm edited the majority of sculptures by Chiparus, Colinet and Descomps amonst others, as well as some models by a large number of sculptors including Gallo, Mimo, Callender and Le Faguays. Although Etling had its own foundary, the firm worked closely with the Paris firm of Les Neveux de J Lehmann, which cast a number of the more complex sculptures by Chiparus and others. Glassware was made at the Choisy-le-Roi glassworks on the outskirts of Paris. Etling glass was known for its pale blue opalescence - regarded alongside Lalique and Sabino they included designs by Loetz, Beal and many others. Designs were manufactured for Etling, bearing his name. Some Etling opalescent glass figures have been reissued in frosted glass by Sevres in the 1970s using some of the many original moulds left behind.
Etling closed in 1940 during WW2. Edmond Etling and his family were transported to a concentration camp where they died. The company's entire output was in the Art Deco style of the interwar period. They are noted for innovative design and are highly desirable collector's items.
Starfish Dancer c1925 by Demétre Chiparus - Chiparus sold his work through Etling's store in Paris.
We have included a brief overview of the history of Etling here. You will find further information on Etling's influence on the Art Deco movement in "Art Deco Sculture" and "The Art of Glass" both by Victor Arwas.