An elegant pair of neo-classical Corinthian Column candlesticks by William Hutton & Sons 1912. The candlesticks have a removable drip bobeche (sconces). They have square stepped (weighted) bases leading up through reeded columns through to classically decorated acanthus capitals. The candlesticks are hallmarked London 1910 and Sheffield 1912 and both are fully hallmarked for silversmith William Hutton & Sons. The Candlesticks are 18 cm in height.
Established in Birmingham in 1800 by William Hutton, the firm moved to Sheffield in 1832. By 1857 the firm was trading as William Hutton & Son based at High Street, Sheffield (registered with the Sheffield assay office) – presumably in partnership with his son, William Carr Hutton. In addition to silverware the firm produced silver-plated items under licence using Elkington & Co’s recently developed electroplating process (c1837). After William’s death William Carr continued the business – joined by his son Herbert Hutton. William Carr died in 1865 and in c1870 Herbert was joined by his brothers James Edward and Robert, and the firm began trading as William Hutton & Sons. Success from production of electroplated ware resulted in expansion into new premises (West Street, Sheffield and Hanley Street, Birmingham) as well as moving into new showrooms at Farrington Road, London. In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturing silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year the firm was incorporated as a limited company – now William Hutton & Sons Ltd. They developed a new nickel alloy in the late 19th century that was ideal for plating purposes (called British Plate, identified on EP flatware by the "BP" mark). In 1902 the firm acquired Creswick & Co and began using their crossed-arrows mark on pewter ware. By the turn of the century William Hutton & Sons Ltd were renown for the quality of their Art Nouveau and Arts & Crafts silver and metal ware. They exhibited with success at the 1922 British Industries Fair – listed as “Manufacturers of Silver, Electro-plate, Cutlery, Stainless Steel, Britannia Metal, Pewter and Fancy Metal Goods”. The firm was acquired by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.
Pair of Classic Corinthian Column Silver Candlesticks by William Hutton 1912
These candlesticks are in very good condition commensurate with age. One candlestick is in excellent condition. The other appears to have had its weight replaced with the stepped base showing evidence of this with slight deformation of the silver on the lowest step along two of its sides (as seen in images). These remain a very attractive decorative pair on display. Please see images as these form an important part of the description.
Free standard delivery to the UK (4-6 working days). UK express delivery option available at checkout.
Delivery to a limited number of EU locations available at checkout – please contact us for delivery costs if your location is not given. We will provide quotes for delivery options valid for three days. Items will be reserved for this period. All delivery times stated are estimates and will vary within zones. We do not deliver to PO boxes. All items require a signature on delivery. For full delivery details visit our information page.