A quality striking skeleton clock with glass dome by AB Savory & Sons, Cornhill c1850 (latterly Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd). Eight-day, twin fusee movement with original chain drives. Quality finished heavy brass scroll plates. Six turned, tapered pillars joining the plates with blued-steel screws. Finely crossed five-spoke wheels throughout on steel arbors and pivots running in bushed oil sinks. The rack striking train is fully exposed with readily visible snail, star wheel and detent. Fully striking the hours with axe-head hammer on a centrally mounted cast ‘bell-metal’ bell. Recoil anchor escapement with friction collet crutch adjustment to beat and a lead weighted spun-brass bob pendulum with decorative steel centre. Silvered chapter ring with Roman numerals and outer minute ring signed ‘Savory & Sons Cornhill’. Finely cut blued-steel trefoil hands. The clock stands on four substantial brass feet above a stepped oval ebonised base with inset black velvet panel. The base is raised on three brass bun feet to optimise stability on non-planar surfaces. Period glass dome and supplied with period key. The clock measures 50 cm to the top of its dome. Base dimensions are 35 cm x 18 cm. Excellent timekeeper. Watch a brief video of the clock striking (above). Sympathetically restored and cleaned. The clock's movement is covered by our 12-month warranty in the UK.
AB Savory was established as a goldsmith in 1812 at 14 Cornhill, London by Adey Bellamy Savory who was of Huguenot origin. He soon extended the business – also registering as a dealer in foreign coins in 1815 and then as a manufacturer of flatware in 1831. The firm changed its name to AB Savory & Sons in 1833 when his sons, Joseph and Albert joined the business. AB Savory & Sons are recorded in the 1832 Robson’s Street Directory and in the 1848 London Post Office Directory as watchmakers and jewellers at 9 Cornhill and silversmiths and dealers in foreign coins and bullion at 14 Cornhill whilst their manufacturing (electro and Sheffield plate, watches and clocks) was based at 5 Finsbury Place, London. In 1866 A.B. Savory & Sons was converted into a limited liability company and changed its name to Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd. Besides silverware produced in their own workshop, Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd retailed pieces made by other goldsmiths and silversmiths. Its wide assortment of silver, Sheffield plate, electroplate, watches, clocks, gold chains, brooches, etc. was advertised in newspapers and periodicals, and in illustrated price-lists sent to all parts of the British empire. Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd had agents in Bombay, Madras, Calcutta, Ceylon, Sydney, Adelaide, Hobart and Melbourne. In 1893 the firm was incorporated into the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd.
Double Fusee Skeleton Clock with Dome by A.B. Savory & Sons Cornhill c.1850
In excellent fully restored condition. No cracks to the period glass dome. As would be expected with period glass of this era, the dome has some minor imperfections and is not perfectly symmetrical, requiring deliberate positioning to make this imperceptible – as seen in images. Please see images as these form an important part of the description.