A beautifully elegant Art Nouveau silver bud vase by Mappin & Webb, Sheffield 1907. Tapering straight-sided body with wavy-edge rim, supported on a shaped circular foot. Simple repousse design of single iris flowers around the body. Weighted foot covered in baize. Hallmarked for renown silversmiths Mappin & Webb, Sheffield 1907. The vase measurers 19 cm in height.
Mappin & Webb traces its origins to 1775, when Jonathan Mappin opened a silversmiths in Sheffield which became Mappin Brothers. One of Jonathan Mappin's great grandsons, John Mappin, opened his own business in London, Mappin & Company, in 1860. His brother-in-law, George Webb joined in 1862 and the company became Mappin, Webb & Co. – acquiring Mappin Brothers in 1903. The first Mappin & Webb store opened in 1860 at 77-78 Oxford Street, London and the company’s candelabras, fine silverware and vanity products swiftly gained renown. As a natural progression from silverware, Mappin & Webb began designing jewellery – creating pieces for royalty both in the United Kingdom and internationally. The company historically held Royal Warrants to both the Russian Empire and the Japanese Royal Household and gained Royal Warrant in the UK in 1897. Today, Mappin & Webb holds warrants to both the Queen and the Prince of Wales. They also produced the original Ryder Cup trophy and made trophies for the Royal Ascot horse races for 75 years.