Striking baluster-form, decorated vase from the Brannam Barum Pottery c1920s. Raise decorative motif on a blue and deep-green ground. Difficult to capture the change of shades of blue/green in the vase's body in different light conditions! The vase measures 23 cm in height. Impressed Brannam marks to base.
In 1848 Thomas Brannam took over the lease of an existing pottery North Walk, and another in Litchdon Street, Barnstaple. The firm’s primary trade was in utilitarian wares although one of their decorative jugs won a medal at the 1851 Great Exhibition. In 1867 Thomas's son, Charles Hubert Brannam joined the pottery aged 12 – by 1879, persuading his father to allow him to produce art ware. Charles eventually took over the Litchdon Street pottery and further developed the art pottery department. He recruited skilled designers, but continued to throw the ware himself. In 1885 he received an order from Queen Victoria and in 1886 he registered the name Royal Barum Ware – ensuring it was sold by several London firms including Liberty. Charles handed the business over to his sons, Charles William Brannam, and John Woolacott (Jack) Brannam, in 1913 – becoming a limited liability company in 1914. Jack's son, Peter, carried out considerable modernization in the post-war period, but when he retired in 1979 he sold the business to Candy Tiles of Newton Abbot. In 1989 production moved to a site on the Roundswell Industrial Estate but remained "C.H.Brannam & Sons Ltd" despite no family connection. C.H.Brannam & Sons Ltd ceased operations in 2005.
Brannam Barum Pottery Decorated Baluster Art Vase c.1920s
This vase is in excellent original condition with no cracks, chips, crazing or restoration. There is a small 'dimple' visible on its rim which is from its original firing (shown in images). Please see images as these form an important part of the description.