Beautifully incised Doulton Lambeth ewer by Florence E Barlow and William Leonard Baron, made in 1877. Delicate foliate design running vertically, covering the body and extending to its rim. Subtle warm autumn colours. The ewer has the incised mark for Doulton Lambeth, 1877 together with Florence Barlow’s and William Baron's monograms. This is an early example of both their work and very rare in the artist's collaboration on a piece. 24cm height, 7.5cm base.
Born 1856, Florence joined Hannah and Arthur Barlow in the Lambeth Pottery in 1873. Her earlier pieces using foliate and scroll designs reflected Arthur’s influence on her work. She later branched out to use other techniques including pâte-sur-pâte painting – which after 1878 is the characteristic feature of almost all her work. Like Hannah, Florence won many awards at the Great Exhibitions. Florence worked at Doulton until 1909.
William Baron is recorded as having worked at Doulton between 1876 and 1884. He left to work in Devon (his birthplace) with C.H. Brannam before establishing his own pottery (Baron Barnstaple).
For information on Royal Doulton visit our History Maker’s pages.
Doulton Lambeth Ewer signed Florence Barlow and William Baron 1877 (24cm)
This ewer is in excellent condition with no chips, cracks or crazing. Please see images as these form an important part of the description.