Sterling Silver Photograph Frame by E Mander & Son Birmingham 1922. Rectangular frame with engine-turned decoration enclosing a glass cover. Easel style solid oak frame, backing and shaped support leg. Picture backing secured by corner and swivel tabs. Fully hallmarked for E Mander & Son, Birmingham 1922. External measurements are 19.75 cm by 13.5 cm. Aperture measures 17 cm by 10.75 cm.
Elisha Mander (1819 – 1899) established the firm of E Mander & Son in 1846. Initially the firm was based at 29-35 Branston Street, Birmingham with showrooms at Great Pulteney Street, London. The firm registered their first hallmark at the Birmingham assay office in 1897. Trading as E Mander & Son until 1924 when the firm became E Mander Ltd. In the 1850s they were known as manufacturers of camera cases – importing Colas lenses and supplying complete cameras. In 1857 they applied for and were granted patents for improvements in the manufacture of “photographic, jewellers', and other cases having wood or papier-mâché foundations”. The firm also subsequently became known for the manufacture of quality silver photograph frames – exhibiting at the 1929 British Industries Fair. Last found recorded activity was in 1961 for a patent relating to improvements associated with photograph frames and analogous articles.