Hallmarked silver photograph frame by Fattorini & Sons Birmingham 1915. Rectangular frame with engine-turned decoration enclosing a glass cover. Easel style solid wood frame, backing and support leg. Picture backing secured by corner and swivel tabs.  Fully hallmarked for Fattorini & Sons, Birmingham 1915. External measurements are 23 cm by 14 cm. Aperture measures 19.75 cm by 10.75 cm.

 

Fattorini & Sons was a jewellery business established by a family of Italian immigrants who settled in Leeds, England in the early 19th century. In 1829 Antonio Fattorini was listed as a jeweller and hardware dealer at 18 Bazaar, Central Market, Leeds. In 1831 he opened a shop in Harrogate to take advantage of seasonal trade – this business still being owned by descendants of the founders today. The family expanded further with another son opening premises in Skipton in 1848. Various descendants of Antonio’s sons subsequently continued the Harrogate and Skipton concerns. Antonio moved his Leeds concern to Bradford in 1850, taking a building at 28 Kirkgate, trading under the name of Fattorini & Sons – registering their f