Beautifully elegant deep-cranberry coloured ewer from the Linthorpe Pottery c1885. The classically clean yet striking lines on this piece typifying the avant-garde designs of the Aesthetic Movement. The ewer has the impressed (slightly obscured) mark for the Linthorpe Pottery with model number 2072. 18.5cm height. Linthorpe Pottery designs were strongly influenced by Christopher Dresser who was its artistic director during its earlier years - the Pottery only being in existence between 1879 and 1889. This piece clearing showing Dresser's aesthetic modernist design.
In 1879 John Harrison (a local businessman) established Linthorpe Pottery in conjunction with Christopher Dresser, one of the most influential designers of the late 19th century. Dresser acted as artistic director at the Pottery until 1882 and continued to submit designs whilst the Pottery remained in production. For more information on Linthorpe Pottery visit our Maker's History pages.