Subtly iridescent glass bowl from the Poschinger glassworks in Bavaria, Germany c1960s. Handblown footed glass bowl with everted, scalloped rim. The bowl is from Poschinger’s “Fleur” range with applied purple threads and beads. Gorgeous rainbow iridescence covering the bowl, making a very attractive piece. Ground pontil mark to base. Unmarked but a very well-known design from the Freiherr von Poschinger Glasmanufaktur. The bowl measures 17 cm in height and 25 cm in diameter.
Founded by Joachim Poschinger in 1568 when he acquired the Zandlershütte glassworks in Frauenau, Bavaria – the Freiherr von Poschinger Glasmanufaktur is one of the oldest glass manufacturers in Germany. Their high-quality craftsmanship attracted many aristocratic admirers during the 18th and 19th centuries, including the King of Bavaria and the King of Saxony. Glass from the Poschinger glassworks also graced the tables of French kings and Russian Tsars. Today the company is owned by the 15th generation of the Poschinger family – continuing the tradition of high-quality handblown and handcrafted glass.