Classically styled pair of sterling silver candlesticks by James Dixon & Sons, Sheffield 1918. Each has an octagonally shaped drip-pan integral to an octagonal capital with moulded details. Capital supported on an octagonal tapered stem with moulded detail repeated to top and bottom. Raised on a stepped square base with canted corners. Weighted baize-covered bases. Fully hallmarked for the Sheffield assay office 1918 and silversmith James Dixon & Son. The candlesticks are 26 cm in height.
Founded in 1806 as Dixon & Smith (at Silver Street, then as Dixon & Son at Cornish Place in 1822), the company became one of the major Sheffield based manufacturers of silver, silver-plate and pewter goods. Originally making items of Britannia metal, they soon branched into different materials and markets and established international trade links. In 1830 they acquired the firm of Nicholson Ashforth and Cutts and began to produce silver and silver-plated goods. By the 19th century they were making Christopher Dresser’s designs in metal-ware as well as producing applied metal-ware pieces for William Moorcroft. With a continued reputation for high quality, they received a number of notable commissions during the 1900s with some of their most celebrated achievements being a series of trophies for Grand National winners, the Hales Trophy (known as the Blue Riband Trophy), The Eisenhower Trophy and the Augusta Golf Tournament Trophy as well as being commissioned to make pieces for royalty and leading statesmen. The reputation achieved by Dixon's adds to the poignancy of their steadily declining fortunes. The firm continued to be a family run enterprise until 1976 when it went into receivership and after unsuccessful attempts to revive the firm, eventually sold off most of its assets to British Silverware Ltd – completely ceasing trading in 1992.