An elegant pair of sterling silver bud vases by Horace Woodward & Co. London 1906. The vases have a waisted stem above a circular stepped (weighted) foot. Tapering to a flared, scalloped octagonal neck and rim. Clear hallmarks for Horace Woodward & Co. London. One vase assayed 1905, other 1906. The vases are 15.5 cm in height.
The firm traces its origins to c1850 when George Cartwright and Joseph Hirons established a silversmiths in Birmingham. In 1853, Horace Woodward joined the partnership and the firm became Cartwright, Hirons & Woodward. By this stage they had become well known as silversmiths and electroplate manufacturers based at 138/139 Great Charles Street Birmingham with London showrooms at 41 Hatton Gardens. In 1859 Joseph Hirons left the partnership and in 1865 George Cartwright retired – the business continued by Horace Woodward trading as Horace Woodward & Co. In 1883 Horace Woodward left the company and the business was continued by Edgar Finley and Hugh Taylor, maintaining the same name until 1893 when the firm was registered as a limited liability, Horace Woodward & Co Ltd. In the same year the production was transferred to Atlas Works, Paradise Street with additional premises opened in 1903 at Vyse Street, Birmingham. In 1919 the firm was acquired by Adie Brothers Ltd. The firm exhibited with success in the London (1851 and 1862), Paris (1867) and Melbourne (1881) Exhibitions.