A small sang-de-boeuf vase from the Pilkington's Lancastrian Pottery dated 1909. Attractive unusual quadriform body going to a square rim. Uncommon sand-de-boeuf glaze. Impressed Pilkington mark and roman numerals for 1909. The vase is 7 cm in height.
As manufacturers of decorative tiles, Pilkington's made the first steps in establishing what was to become their pottery department in 1898. Initially they developed crystalline and opalescent glazes which were discontinued after a few years. Subsequent years saw their range of glazes extended under the influence of successive ceramic chemists. The glaze on this vase precedes the development of their well known Lapis glazes. During the early 1930's the pottery department experienced a number of set-backs which together with poor financial returns resulted in its closure in 1937.