An attractively shaped (and very tactile!) fluted Art Pottery vase from Pilkington’s Royal Lancastrian c1935. Stippled grey semi-matt glaze. Impressed Pilkington’s Royal Lancastrian mark to base. The vase is 17.5cm in height and 17cm across its shoulder.
As manufacturers of decorative tiles, Pilkington's made the first steps in establishing what was to become their pottery department in 1898. Initially they developed crystalline and opalescent glazes which were discontinued after a few years. Subsequent years saw their range of glazes extended under the influence of successive ceramic chemists. The glaze on this vase precedes the development of their well known Lapis glazes. During the early 1930's the pottery department experienced a number of set-backs which together with poor financial returns resulted in its closure in 1937.