Vividly coloured twin-handled pot from Pilkington’s Royal Lancastrian art studio c1935. Cylindrical form with tapering side and twin lug handles. All over orange-vermilion glaze characterised by vermilion speckles over an orange ground. Impressed Royal Lancastrian mark to base (used 1930 to c1938) and shaped number 3180. Incised E.T.R. for potter Edwin Thomas Radford. The vessel is 12 cm in height and approximately 18 cm in width (including handles).
As manufacturers of decorative tiles, Pilkington's made the first steps in establishing what was to become their pottery department in 1898. Initially they developed crystalline and opalescent glazes which were discontinued after a few years. Subsequent years saw their range of glazes extended under the influence of successive ceramic chemists. During the early 1930's the pottery department experienced a number of setbacks which together with poor financial returns resulted in its closure in 1937. Whilst originally developed in 1905, Pilkington’s orange-vermilion glaze suited the tastes of the Art Deco era when it became popular. The distribution of vermilion crystals was not always predictable with pieces often showing clumping. Other variations included streaking – sometimes applied and sometimes a result of different firing techniques.
E.T. Radford worked at Wedgwood, Linthorpe Pottery, Burmantofts and Doulton before being engaged by Pilkington's where he worked until his retirement in 1936. He was recognised as one of the finest throwers of his time.
Pilkington's Royal Lancastrian Orange-Vermilion Twin Handle Pot c1935
This pot is in excellent original condition with no crazing, cracks, chips or restoration. Please see images as these form an important part of the description.