Tall, pierced silver vase with blue glass liner by Charles Clement Pilling of Sibray Hall & Co, London 1901. Pierced tapered body with fluted rim, raised on a circular weighted base. Deep-blue glass liner visible through the pierced body. Good gauge of silver. The vase is 25 cm in height and 12.5 cm maximum diameter.
Sibray, Hall & Co was established in 1878 by partners Frederick Sibray and Job Frank Hall. The firm based at the Fitzwalter Works, St Mary's Road in Sheffield registered their first mark (FS over JH) at the Sheffield assay office in the same year. In 1880 they registered this mark at the London assay office and with subsequent success, opened a London showroom c1890 at 30 Ely Place, Holborn. Frederick Sibray died in 1891 however Hall continued trading as Sibray, Hall & Co. – registering his own mark JFH in 1892 (Sheffield) changing to JH in 1893 (Sheffield and London). In 1896 Charles Clement Pilling entered into partnership with Hall and the firm was incorporated, trading as Sibray, Hall & Co Ltd. Hall retired in 1900 leaving Charles Clement Pilling as sole proprietor. Pilling registered his first mark (CCP) at the London assay office in 1900 (and later, at Sheffield in 1907). Sibray, Hall & Co Ltd exhibited at the 1912 London Jewellers Exhibition – gaining praise in trade journals for their original designs and fine quality. No further items appear to have been marked by the London assay office after 1913 with a small number of pieces marked by the Sheffield assay office up to c1923 after which no further information is available.
W Batty & Sons was started by Peter William Batty (1823-1892) who had apprenticed in Yorkshire as a watchmaker. By 1848 he had set up his own watch making business in Manchester. Obviously extending the business to include retailing jewellery and silverware, he is recorded in the 1851 census as ‘watchmaker and jeweller’ and subsequent 1871 census only as ‘jeweller’. In 1873 he took his eldest son James Batty into the business which was then titled William Batty & Son. Between 1883 and 1892 a second son (William Dent Batty, who was by then trading as a jeweller in Liverpool) was taken into the business which was renamed W Batty & Sons. By 1874 the firm had opened a branch at 1 Cross St, Manchester, and in 1888 a further branch at 135 Lord Street, Southport as well as continuing their Liverpool branch at St Georges Cres (known as Penlington & Batty). Trade directories